Tuesday, March 28, 2023

Last Day Living the Dream

Waking up for the final time on my trip to the northeast coast, I was finishing up where it all began - Philadelphia. I woke up early and trekked to northwest Philly to complete the transaction on my car rental, which couldn’t have gone better.

With that out of the way, I took an Uber to the airport. The staff at the airport were much nicer than what I experienced at Hertz at the front end of the trip. I was able to check my bags with no problems and I boarded the plane with just one more stop remaining - Washington, D.C.

Having only been to the nation’s capital once when I was 14, I was definitely excited to get a chance to see it during my layover en route to OKC. Initially I had not booked a flight with a five-hour layover in DC, but I received an alert weeks after booking my flights with alternative times and layovers. I was initially annoyed at the changes, but I decided to make the most of it and see as much as I could while I was waiting to head home.

I took the metro to the Mall, which is where most of the more memorable sites can be found. Among the sites I got to check out were the Einstein Statue, the Vietnam Veteran Memorial, the Lincoln Memorial, Korean Memorial, MLK Memorial, Jefferson Memorial, World War II Memorial, Washington Monument, and the White House.

At some point, I did have a slight sense of nervousness as I was saddled with an overly full backpack that definitely caused me to stick out like a sore thumb as I was walking around. As I neared the White House, I was conflicted with feelings of excitement and anxiety as I thought about the likelihood that I was on someone’s radar as I positioned myself to get a couple of pics and selfies.

I didn’t stick around for very long and once I had what I wanted in terms of views and pics, I was heading back to the metro to return to the airport. Everything went well and I was in my seat and ready to fly home on time.

The trip was amazing and one I will never forget. There were some highs and lows and some sites that will always stick with me. And once home, I was ready to get started planning the next one!

No comments:

Post a Comment