Wednesday, March 22, 2023

Chasing Dreams in the Iron Belt

Two of my favorite experiences in life have been my fandom of the Miami Dolphins and my enjoyment of watching “The Office.” My next to last day of the trip allowed me to reflect fondly on those memories.

I started off my morning in Buffalo by heading south to Orchard Park, where one of the Dolphins’ division rivals plays its home games. I didn’t do anything specific to break the Dolphins’ recent losing streak against the Bills, but I convinced myself that my presence alone would be enough. Little did I know, it would take until 2022 before I would see any evidence of that positivity.

Still surrounded in darkness in the early hours of the day, I turned my attention to my next scheduled stop - Scranton, the “home” of one of my favorite sitcoms. I had done my homework and picked out a few stops - the Steamtown National Historic Site, the Electric City Sign, Alfredo’s Pizza, Poor Richard’s Pub and Cooper’s Seafood. The last of the stops was a great place to grab lunch and also happened to be a prime spot for picking up souvenirs for the family.

After leaving Scranton, I needed to check out one more location from “The Office” - Lake Wallenpaupack. Normally, this would just seem like any other lake; however, for anyone who is a huge fan of the show, this lake was a famous site for a daytime activity outside of the office.

No trip to this part of the state would be complete without visiting the Promised Land - Promised Land State Park, to be more specific. An area that was once purchased by a religious group called the Shakers, it was eventually sold after it proved to be a poor place for farming. The name “Promised Land” was made sarcastically as they eventually sold it, but the name stuck and remains in place today.

My quick stop to gather a quick photo turned my attention to my brief trip to Delaware, which is just south of Philadelphia. I stopped for dinner in Wilmington, took a few photos around town, and then headed to my Philly hotel that would be hosting my final night of the trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment